Kde2/cygwin awfully slow on Windows XP

Cary Wagner kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:42:02 -0800

Corey,

I did as you suggested, but when I try to run Xwindows my system just
crawls.  I went so far as to completely shut down my McAfee, as I can never
tell what the heck it is doing (it's a company standard thing).  I have done
the exact same installation on two different machines, yet my other machine
doesn't seem to have the same problem.  Other than I cannot seem to get KDE
to run properly, but at least X comes up and runs fine....

Any other suggestions.....  Thanks!

Cary

-----Original Message-----
From: Corey McGuire [mailto:coreyfro@shargaas.coreyfro.com]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 21:33
To: kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Subject: Re: Kde2/cygwin awfully slow on Windows XP

Awsome!!! I am glad I could help!

Yeah, I can blue screen an NT4 system by piping the right programs together
(win32 command line, not just cygwin) when virus scan is enabled...

I don't know what it is doing, I don't know how Unix works at the low level,
though I can wager guess... I just know that Unix uses simple commands and
strings them together to perform complex functions, and windows apps, like
virus scanners, were made for the world of monolithic programs... virus
scanners like to watch active programs, and the Unix world bombards the poor
scanners with lots of them...

That's my layman observation...

On 1/27/2003 at 11:05 PM Bob Tanner wrote:

>On Monday 27 January 2003 01:48 pm, Corey McGuire wrote:
>> I had to exclude cygwin from my "on access scan" for my virus
>> scanner...
>>
>> virus scanners hate the way "*NIX" works.  Dozens of executable tied
>> together with pipes, sockets, shoestrings, what have you.  Even the
>> most pedestrian use of Cygwin, especially when using X, will have
>> your virus scanner going in circles.
>>
>> Take a look at your taskman and see if what I said is true with you.
>
>Wow! This should be an FAQ! This fixed my doggy cygwin stuff too. Since
>I only use cygwin as a compile platform I just assumed XP was slow :-)
>
>--
>Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
>http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500
>http://www.linuxjustworks.com             | Linux Just Works!
>Key fingerprint = AB15 0BDF BCDE 4369 5B42  1973 7CF1 A709 2CC1 B288

/\/\/\/\/\/\ Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool. /\/\/\/\/\/\

coreyfro@coreyfro.com
http://www.coreyfro.com/
http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/psearch.php3?st=coreyfro
ICQ : 3168059