KDE and multiwindow mode

David Fraser kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:29:51 +0200

--------------030102080605080000000204

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

>Reading cygwin-xfree ML, I see that KDE can be run with the new
>multiwindow mode.
>
>Are some modifications to the startup scripts mandatory ?
>Did someone test various applications ?
>
>=====
>Sylvain Petreolle
>spetreolle@users.sourceforge.net
>Fight against Spam ! http://www.euro.cauce.org/en/index.html
>ICQ #170597259
>
>"Don't think you are. Know you are." Morpheus, in "Matrix".

Hi

I have attached my startkde-nokwin script which is a modification of
some other startkde
script I had. On my system this starts kde perfectly but doesn't use
kwin, so the multiwindow
manager will be used. This should go into the kde bin directory.
Let me know if it works

Cheers
David

--------------030102080605080000000204

#!/bin/sh
#
#  DEFAULT KDE STARTUP SCRIPT ( KDE-2.2 )
#
# Boot sequence:
#
# kdeinit is used to fork off processes which improves memory usage
# and startup time.
#
# * kdeinit starts the dcopserver and klauncher first.
# * Then kded is started. kded is responsible for keeping the sycoca
#   database up to date. When an up to date database is present it goes
#   into the background and the startup continues.
# * Then kdeinit starts kcminit. kcminit performs initialisation of
#   certain devices according to the user's settings

# Set a left cursor instead of the standard X11 "X" cursor, since I've heard
# from some users that they're confused and don't know what to do. This is
# especially necessary on slow machines, where starting KDE takes one or two
# minutes until anything appears on the screen.
#
# Set the background to plain grey.
# The standard X background is nasty, causing moire effects and exploding
# people's heads. We use colours from the standard KDE palette for those with
# palettised displays.

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr -solid '#C0C0C0'

# The user's personal KDE directory is usually $HOME/.kde, but this setting
# may be overridden by setting KDEHOME.

kdehome=$HOME/.kde2
test -n "$KDEHOME" && kdehome=$KDEHOME

# Activate the kde font directories.
#
# There are 4 directories that may be used for supplying fonts for KDE.
#
# There are two system directories. These belong to the administrator.
# There are two user directories, where the user may add her own fonts.
#
# The 'override' versions are for fonts that should come first in the list,
# i.e. if you have a font in your 'override' directory, it will be used in
# preference to any other.
#
# The preference order looks like this:
# user override, system override, X, user, system
#
# Where X is the original font database that was set up before this script
# runs.

#usr_odir=$kdehome/share/fonts/override
#usr_fdir=$kdehome/share/fonts
#if test -n "$KDEDIRS"; then
#  kdedirs_first=`echo $KDEDIRS|sed -e 's/:.*//'`
#  sys_odir=$kdedirs_first/share/fonts/override
#  sys_fdir=$kdedirs_first/share/fonts
#else
#  sys_odir=$KDEDIR/share/fonts/override
#  sys_fdir=$KDEDIR/share/fonts
#fi

# We run mkfontdir on the user's font dirs (if we have permission) to pick
# up any new fonts they may have installed. If mkfontdir fails, we still
# add the user's dirs to the font path, as they might simply have been made
# read-only by the administrator, for whatever reason.

#test -d $usr_odir && (mkfontdir $usr_odir ; xset +fp $usr_odir)
#test -d $sys_odir && xset +fp $sys_odir
#test -d $usr_fdir && (mkfontdir $usr_fdir ; xset fp+ $usr_fdir)
#test -d $sys_fdir && xset fp+ $sys_fdir

# Ask X11 to rebuild its font list.
#xset fp rehash

# Link "tmp" resource to directory in /tmp
# Creates a directory /tmp/kde-$USER and links $KDEHOME/tmp-$HOSTNAME to it.
#lnusertemp tmp >/dev/null

# Link "socket" resource to directory in /tmp
# Creates a directory /tmp/ksocket-$USER and links $KDEHOME/socket-$HOSTNAME to it.
#lnusertemp socket >/dev/null

# start basic kde
kdeinit +ksplash +kcminit +kdesktop +kicker

# start window manager
# kwin
# Clean up
# kdeinit_shutdown