KDE and multiwindow mode

Ralf Habacker kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:06:13 +0100

> Reading cygwin-xfree ML, I see that KDE can be run with the new
> multiwindow mode.
>
> Are some modifications to the startup scripts mandatory ?

I haven't tested.

> Did someone test various applications ?

Some weeks ago I have tested korganizer, kmail, which works.
As far as I have seen, there is an ongoing work for an integrated window
manager, so kwin would be obsolate.

In general I see no problem.

Someone on the list has proposed to build a "black boxed" package, that means
putting all needed dll's and applications to run only kmail "out of the box".

With this multiwindow mode this would be like a native kmail or korganizer.
There is still some work needed for reducing the startup time and currentlsy I'm
thinking how to deal this.

One point is to replace the klauncher stuff in kdelibs with a native win32
replacement without using fork and so on, so that kdeinit/kded isn't need, which
would save some time.

Ralf