Work on KDE/QT native port to MS Windows started.

Ralf Habacker kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:01:03 +0100

Hi Adam,

> I have started setting up a build system for Qt/X11 3.1 for
> mingw/cygwin in Windows (I couldn't
> get your stuff to build).  Basically, I created a new
> mkspec/QMake.conf for mingw/m-no-cygwin.  I
> would be happy to send you what I've done (it tries to build qmake
> and get's as far as qdir_win.cpp and qfile_win.cpp (these *_win.cpp files are
just copied
> from the *_unix.cpp counterparts).  Once these files are ported I think qmake
can be
> built as a native tool on windows and we can use that for the rest.

> This should work for either mingw or -m-no-cygwin and hopefully
> could be rolled into KDE's qt-copy when it is ready.

Are you familar with cvs ? If so send me private your sf account name, so I can
give you cvs access.

> I don't think either of these files would be hard to port for someone
knowledgable with Windows API.  Since Qt3.1
> is the latest and greatest perhaps that is the best target.

Holger has asked too, if he could use the qt3 branch. The current running cygwin
qt-3 is based on qt.3.1 rc1 and there is some work neede to update it to qt
3.1.1 which is the last recent.

Yes it is possible to start with qt-3, but it is complexer as the qt-2 stuff and
don't forget, there is a non commercial qt2.3 release available, so someone with
a visual c++ can give some hints about the internal logic with reverse
engeeniering, which isn't possible with qt-3, because there is no nc release.

Migrating the ported win32 classed to qt-3 after the qt-3 port seems not too
complicated to me.

So I vote for starting with qt-2.

Regards
Ralf