interesting not relating to qt and gpl

Ralf Habacker kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:34:17 +0100

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'vwe found an interestung article from the qt's relating to the
> > earlier step
> > for making the qt/x11 gpl based.
> >
> > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/2269/1/
> >
> > Any comments?
> Quote: "Early on we feared a fork in the code. "
>
> This is the biggest problem if we do our own native Windows port of Qt - it
> will be a fork of the code. Trolltech's fears would be justified. I don't
> think much at all of Trolltech's argument for not releasing their Win32
> version of Qt under the GPL however, so I think we should press ahead.

But doesn't we've tried to get in contact several time with trolltech relating
to this topic ?

Additional some days ago I've written an email to Erik Eng, trolltechs ceo, but
haven't got any answer until now. (I have send you the email private. Please
send me a comment if we should publish it on the list)

> Then again, I'm not a Free Software purist.
Sorry, I don't understand, what you try to say with this.

Should we buy a qt license for windows like suggest by somone on kde.org
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103167397112577&w=2 and reactivate the
old license issues ?

The kde peoples says that a native kde would be very important (from above mail)

> > It will help KDE immensly as platform if the expansion to other platforms
> > is easier.

Regards
Ralf