New KDE-cygwin 3.1.1 Beta 1 release

Drew Stile johnnydeppert at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 25 02:05:46 CEST 2003

kde-cygwin-request at mail.kde.org wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:17:00 +0200
> From: "Ralf Habacker" <Ralf.Habacker at freenet.de>
> Subject: New KDE-cygwin 3.1.1 Beta 1 release
> To: "Kde-Cygwin" <kde-cygwin at kde.org>,   "Cygwin-Xfree at Cygwin. Com"
> 	<cygwin-xfree at cygwin.com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> we are proud to present the first KDE 3.1.1 release of the KDE desktop
> environment for cygwin/xfree. See http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/ for
> further informations.
>
> Read what a user reports about this new release:
>
> "Kudos for the new KDE 3.1.1 beta. My first install on Windows 2000 with
> this went perfectly and it runs *very stable*. Very impressive. Ironic
> that I ran KDE 3.1.1 before I had it running on a linux box.:)"
>
> Because KDE is based on cygwin and the xfree server, this is also a success for
> the whole cygwin and cygwin-xfree team.
>
> Thank you for all your efforts.
>
> Regards
> Ralf

Hello folks:
Sorry about the reply to the digest, but as I'm mainly a long-time
lurker I prefer digests to the regular list.

Congratulations on KDE3!!!

Looks great, and I'm pleased to say that it runs much better on Windows
Me than KDE2 did.  I know this isn't targeted for Windows 95/98/Me
but it works there (mostly).

First, I want to say that I would like to help out some in any way I
can.  As I'm not yet the hacker/coder I someday want to be my biggest
skills would be in documentation, publicity & project site design.  But
I also speak German as my second language, so I could do any translating
that needed to be done.

So congrats again on an awesome port so far.  I want to say that KDE2
(and Cygwin & XFree/Cygwin) is one of the things that really got me
interested in Open Source in the first place.  Months later now, I use
Linux about half the time, and KDE is still my desktop of choice there-
so thanks for the contribution you guys are making towards a lot of
people out there getting exposed to alternative.

I've experienced just a couple issues so far with the startkde.bat
script- here they are:

In startkde.bat script maybe change $USERNAME to $USER to find the ~
directory?

I didn't have a $CYGWIN_ROOT defined beforehand (possibly due to how
Windows Me is interpreting the environment variable stuff in the
regisrtry) so I needed to define it as a system-wide environment
variable to use the startkde.bat successfully.

Saw a couple other things, but will research more before posting.
Again, feel free to give me a couple things to work on- I won't have
*that* much time, since I'm working full-time now.

Thanks again!

-Drew Stile-
johnny deppert at my real box dot com