Can't start kde

Ralf Habacker kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:50:41 +0100

> > > When I click OK the box disappears but KDE seems to continue loading. I
> > > then get another error box (from KDE, I think) saying "Sound server fatal
> > > error: cpu overload, aborting"
> > >
> > > When I click OK, then it just hangs.
> >
> >You should disable sound support in kcontrol.
>
> How do I do this?

Set

	StartServer=false

in the following file

$ less  $HOME/.kde2/share/config/kcmartsrc
[Arts]
AddOptions=
Arguments=\s-F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f
AudioIO=
AutoSuspend=true
Bits=0
DeviceName=
FullDuplex=false
Latency=250
LoggingLevel=3
MessageApplication=artsmessage
NetworkTransparent=false
SamplingRate=0
StartRealtime=true
!!!StartServer=false
SuspendTime=60
X11GlobalComm=false

BTW: We are looking for someone who can take a look at this problem and perhaps
can give us a hint how to fix this problem.

> > > Sometimes it begins loading the desktop (menu at top - File, New,
> > > Bookmarks, etc and icons at the bottom. But then it hangs and I
> can't click
> > > on any of the icons.
> > >
> > > I am running Cygwin 1.3.15-2 with setup 2.249.2.5, Xfree86 4.2.0, KDE-2
> > > 2.2.2-b1, and QT-2 2.3.1-b1.
> > >
> >Which os are you running  ?
>
> Win98

Sometimes we have recognized problems with several cygwin release. Try an older
cygwin release and make sure, you have installed the latest kde patches.

Ralf