help: problems with starting kde2 on cygwin

David Leffler kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 18:47:25 -0500

Is anyone else having problems starting Cygwin/X?  It worked under
Cygwin 1.3.12, but I can't get it to start under any newer versions (up
to 1.3.15-2)

David Leffler
-----Original Message-----
From: kde-cygwin-admin@mail.kde.org
[mailto:kde-cygwin-admin@mail.kde.org] On Behalf Of Ralf Habacker
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 18:33
To: kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Subject: RE: help: problems with starting kde2 on cygwin

Hello,

> I'm a newbie and I have some problems with starting kde2 on cygwin.
> I use an Intel Pentium 900MHz with WinXP.
> I installed on my second partition (D:\) cygwin and XFree with the
> install-Prog.
> Then I started cygwin, afterwards XFree with the command: startx.
> Everything fine.
> Then I installed with the install-prog kde2.
> After that I made the two files
>
> .xinitrc:
>
> /opt/kde2/bin/startkde
>
> and .xserverrc:
>
> exec X -screen 0 1024x768x16 -engine
> 4 -ac -nowinkill -noreset -emulate3buttons 100
>
> they are located in my home-dir.
>
> After that I started cygwin and tried starting kde2 with 'startx &'
>
> Now a new window opens, but after a few seconds following messages
appears:
> (ok, a bad translation)
>
> ksplash.exe - component not found
>
> The program can not start, cause of cygDCOP-1.dll could not be found.
>
> New installation requiered.
>
> ...then I confirm...
>
> ksmserver.exe - component not found
>
> The program can not start, cause of cygDCOP-1.dll could not be found.
>
> New installation requiered.
>
> ...and then the windows shut down
>
> In the cygwin windows following messages appears:
>
> IchChefDuNix@WINXP ~
> $ startx &
> [1] 964
>
> IchChefDuNix@WINXP ~
> $
>
> waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
> [: ==: unknown operand
> lnusertemp: not found
> lnusertemp: not found
> kdeinit: not found
> knotify: not found
> exec: kdeinit_shutdown: not found
>
> waiting for X server to shut down
>

> [1]+  Done                    startx
>
> IchChefDuNix@WINXP ~
> $
>

> After that I searched for the cygDCOP-1.dll, but I couldn't find that
lib.

> Now my question: where can I get that dll or what I done wrong???

cygDCOP-1.dll should be in /opt/kde2/bin. If it is not there, your
installation
was faulty.
Please make you have downloaded all the needed packages (you can verify
the file
size with the kde-cygwin download area
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=27249.

After you have downloaded the required packages, install the packages
(if you
haven't installed directly) through an additional start of the cywin net
installer now choosing Install from Local Dir.

It it was there, close your bash window and open a new one to make sure
that
your environment settings are valid.

A note:
/etc/profile
> for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
> if [ -f $i ]; then
> . $i
> fi

Because your cygwin installation supports the /etc/profile.d handling,
the
prefered way is to make a link to the kde environment setting like
described in
http://cygwin.kde.org/kde2/postinstall.php

ln -s /opt/kde2/bin/kde_setenv /etc/profile.d/kde2.sh

Hope that helps.

If you have more questions, ask again.