Can't start kde

Lisi kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:20:00 +0200

At 02:19 PM 11/20/02 +0100, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>On Wednesday 20 November 2002 09:39, Lisi wrote:
> > I am reposting this because I did not get any reponses the first time, and
> > I'm hoping there is someone out there who can point me in the right
> > direction.  I checked the FAQ and the archive, and if the answer was there
> > I didn't realize it was relevant.
> >
>Sorry, we must have overseen your request, because we are busy with so many
>things. Please note that this project was done mainly in our free time, so it
>could that other thing are more important like earn money and so one.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound accusatory, I didn't want anyone to
complain about reposting and "spamming" the list with multiple posts of the
same question. It was a preemptive apology on my part.

> > I am total newbie to Linux in general, and to both cygwin and kde, so don't
> > take any knowledge for granted in your answer.
>
>At first I think the best is to buy a book about linux basic or search for a
>linux resource in the internet.

Done, I have a basic familiarity with using the command line and several
tools like vi, cvs, gcc, etc.

>Next see the cygwin user manual and faq for
>further informations about cygwin.

Also done, mostly over my head since I'm not really a developer, but still
helpful.

>Nexct you should try
>
>Linux tutorial                - http://www.ctssn.com/
>CYGWIN User manual  - http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html
>The Cygwin faq           - http://cygwin.com/faq/
>KDE quick start guide   -
>http://www.kde.org/documentation/quickstart/index.html

I've browsed these sections, again, some of it was over my head but I got
the basic gist.

>If you are familiar with this stuff, you are ready to run kde.
>
> > I start Xfree86 with startxwin.bat, and then start kde with startkde. Lots
> > of text scrolls by, the splash screen pops up and things progress to
> > "kdeinit  - this program has performed an illegal operation and will be
> > shut down"
> >
>See http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde2/faq.php#D9 for informations about
>how to check the kde start procedure in case of problems.

I'll check this out and get back to you if I still have problems, thanks
for pointing me in the right direction.

> > When I click OK the box disappears but KDE seems to continue loading. I
> > then get another error box (from KDE, I think) saying "Sound server fatal
> > error: cpu overload, aborting"
> >
> > When I click OK, then it just hangs.
>
>You should disable sound support in kcontrol.

How do I do this?

> > Sometimes it begins loading the desktop (menu at top - File, New,
> > Bookmarks, etc and icons at the bottom. But then it hangs and I can't click
> > on any of the icons.
> >
> > I am running Cygwin 1.3.15-2 with setup 2.249.2.5, Xfree86 4.2.0, KDE-2
> > 2.2.2-b1, and QT-2 2.3.1-b1.
> >
>Which os are you running  ?

Win98