Date and time in QML
Carl Schwan
carl at carlschwan.eu
Tue Sep 29 09:36:19 BST 2026
Hi,
So I worked during Akademy to fix long standing issues with date time handling in QML. The solution I came up with, it to write a simple QGadget wrapped around QDateTime. I already have some draft MRs for both Merkuro Calendar and Kirigami Addons (date and time pickers) to then use this wrapper and this simplify a lot of quite error prone code. I suppose this would also help with the Plasma calendar widget and probably in other places in KDE.
The big question is where to put this wrapper. My two draft MRs have a copy of this wrapper and I opened a MR in KCoreAddons https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/-/merge_requests/606 but this was rightfully pointed out that this doesn't fit perfectly the scope of this framework.
The solution proposed would be to create a tiny framework for non graphical QML extensions and utilities, which I just did https://invent.kde.org/carlschwan/kqmladdons
Before asking sysadmin to move this to the framework namespace, does anyone has some feedback about this? Objections? Improvements suggestions? Do you have ideas how offer stuffs what would belong there?
In term of timeline, ideally it would be great to have this released as part of framework before the dependency freeze of gear 26.12.0.
Cheers,
Carl
More information about the kde-core-devel
mailing list