PSA: Mark SVG as binary

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Mar 3 22:02:53 GMT 2023

On Freitag, 3. März 2023 22:49:06 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> In all cases i'm aware of, the files have been in either SVG, JSON or XML
> in format.
>
> To fix this, and allow changes to be merged please add a ".gitattributes"
> file at the top level of the Git repository you are seeing this behaviour
> in on the master branch with the following contents:
>
> *.svg binary

Wouldn't replacing the *.svg files with compressed SVGs also solve the problem?
If git is anyway told to treat the SVGs as binary, then keeping them as
uncompressed text files makes little sense to me. Of course, there may be valid
exceptions, but I'm certain that in general replacing the uncompressed SVGs
with compressed SVGs would be fine.

Regards,
Ingo