KDE Review: Arianna

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 26 03:53:05 GMT 2023

Carl Schwan wrote:
> I want to move Arianna to KDE review. Arianna is an ebook reader
> currently only supporting epubs. This is based on top of epub.js
> and QtWebEngine for the actualy rendering of ebooks as doing that
> from scratch in Qt would be too much work.

Okular has an EPub backend using libepub and QTextDocument. How does
Arianna compare to that? I would expect native code to be more efficient
than JavaScript *especially* on mobile devices, which are apparently
Arianna's main target. But I do not know whether there are, e.g., EPub
documents that Arianna can render and Okular cannot, so that is why I am
asking how they compare.

        Kevin Kofler