Gitlab update, 2FA now mandatory

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 5 18:20:57 GMT 2023

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> What am I expected to use with my PinePhone? Does
> https://apps.kde.org/keysmith/ work?

To answer my own question: Yes, Keysmith works, both on the desktop (and
notebook) and on the PinePhone. It is also easily possible to synchronize
the keyring between different devices using Keysmith just by copying
~/.config/org.kde.keysmith/Keysmith.conf to the other device over SFTP. Then
any of the devices can be used to generate the TOTP. (They will generate the
exact same one-time passwords, I can see it by running both instances in
parallel.)

GNOME Secrets (formerly known as Password Safe) also works on the PinePhone
(which is useful because that app can also store the permanent password, and
is mobile-friendly unlike KWalletManager, though I presume it will also work
fine on desktops/notebooks). If I enter the same secret there, it also
generates the exact same one-time passwords.

        Kevin Kofler