Review of Codevis (ie - Making Codevis a KDE Project)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Aug 17 10:46:45 BST 2023

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 9:20 PM Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> (Another thing to add, it is currently on Qt5 but we plan to move it to
> Qt6 as soon as possible, and as soon as we have a working CI on windows,
> mac and linux on KDE infrastructure)
>

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 11:18 AM Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Fellow KDE Devs,
>>
>> I'm here, formally asking for a review of the Codevis project, to move
>> forward and make it a part of kdesdk.
>>
>> Currently we are using parts of KWdigetsAddons as a submodule
>> Most things that are related to buildsystems will be moved to craft /
>> kdesrc-build as soon as possible, right now we rely in conan for windows
>> and mac, plus a hand-written build script that downloads and builds llvm
>> for those platforms.
>>
>> Things that I know that are out of KDE Accordance:
>> - Translation System (uses Qt's tr() system)
>> - Settings System (it uses my own configuration parser that resembles QML)
>> - Folder naming specification (follows the lakosian naming specification)
>> - CI used is based on Gitlab, but fails on KDE

For your CI items here:

On Linux, we don't provide non-Docker workers, and Docker-in-Docker is not
permitted for security reasons (as it essentially means you are root on the
runner).
You'll need to adjust the job to give Gitlab the name of the image you need
to run under - usage of the provided images at
invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-images is preferred.

Due to the ageing out of CentOS 7 we're currently in the process of
migrating towards SLES15 based images for our Appimage builds.

For Windows, we also don't provide non-Docker workers, and we only allow
the use of blessed images we provide (in invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-images).
It looks like you are doing quite a bit of stand up work in your custom
build script though, so please consider whether one of the images we
already provide is suitable for your purposes in terms of dependencies
provided (I believe LLVM may already be available in the -qt515 and -qt65
images)

Assuming your project is a regular CMake project though you might want to
consider starting by adding the regular KDE CI jobs to the project though
and seeing how they go (see the templates at
invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-utilities)

>> The current repository of Codevis is:
>> https://invent.kde.org/tcanabrava/codevis
>>
>> The KDE developers on this project are me, tarcisio fischer (that
>> presented Codevis on Akademy), and Richard Dale.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tomaz

Cheers,
Ben