Notice of impending change to Gitlab CI

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Sep 4 09:42:31 BST 2022

Hi all,

Currently our Gitlab CI jobs for Linux (SUSE) and Android (Ubuntu) run
their respective jobs as root within the Docker containers that Gitlab
spawns for them.

This is a restriction that was previously required by the simultaneous use
of these same images by Jenkins, which following the shutdown of
build.kde.org this weekend is no longer a problem.

I will look into making this adjustment to our CI image(s) in the coming
week for Linux (SUSE). Once implemented, tests which made use of root
privileges may begin to fail (and those that were incompatible with it will
begin to pass).

Android Qt 5 builds still share the image with the Binary Factory and
therefore will have to continue to run as root at this time until we are
able to discontinue the BInary Factory (or at least, Android's use of it).

Thanks,
Ben