New repo in kdereview: KRecorder

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Wed Oct 26 16:34:17 BST 2022

Pretty nice app.

The app should have a Bugzilla component and its "Report a bug" button
should take users there, as we have been migrating towards for other
mobile apps recently.

Some UI review now:

When I open the app for the first time on the desktop, I get a
mobile-specific floating action button at the bottom of the view which
doesn't make it clear how I can record something:

https://i.imgur.com/1xSDJkC.jpg

On the desktop, we should not show the FAB, give the placeholder message
a "Make New Recording" action button, and then when the placeholder
message isn't visible, show a button for that action on the toolbar.

(and IMO that would be better for mobile too)

When there are no recordings, the right pane is superfluous, and its
message refers to things that don't exist.

The left pane's placeholder message is off-center with narrow windows.

When I click on the Settings button, instead of the settings view
appearing as either a standalone window (as I would expect for a desktop
app) or an embedded page (as I would expect for a mobile app), it opens
as a view within a Kirigami.OverlaySheet, which is weird. Also, the use
of the new Kirigami mofile form components creates a "frames within
frames" effect that I find slightly offputting:

https://i.imgur.com/5LN7cBJ.jpg

When I click on any of the settings, they open in *new* OverlaySheets
which feels quite weird. And the About page does open as a real page,
but when I click the back button it doesn't take be back to where I was
before; it closes the OverlaySheet I was looking at amd I'm back on the
main view

Overall I would recommend using full-window pages (or a standalone
window on desktop) here, rather than an OverlaySheet.

The "Audio Quality" setting doesn't give any mention of a trade-off
between quality and file size (which I assume it at play here), leaving
me to wonder why I wouldn't always make it the highest value, and why it
doesn't default to that itself.

On the recording page, the "stop recording" button is red which is
typically our "destructive action" color.

The default filename for all recordings is "clip_0001", even if a file
of that name already exists.

The UI does not make it clear where files get saved to during the save
process. I took a guess and checked in ~/Music, which was correct but
that's a weird place for voice recordings which are clearly not music.

I found the actual file path on the edit dialog, but we should show the
full file path elsewhere too, at least on the desktop where users are
more likely to care about the exact location of where files live.

The "Edit" action for the individual list items should probably be
renamed to "Rename" since that's all you can do there. Same for the
title of the OverlaySheet it spawns

On the "Editing [name]" OverlaySheet, the filename field's label is
"Audio Input:" which seems inappropriate.

Playback buttons can get cut off with short windows:

https://i.imgur.com/Fl0oIUf.jpg

None of the icons-only buttons on the recording or playback pages have
tooltips.