ghostwriter is ready for your review

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 17 20:08:44 BST 2022

On Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2022 05:05:40 CEST Megan wrote:
> > You have 4 libs in the 3rdparty folder, is there any chance to use actual
> > dependencies and not copied code?
>
> 1. Unfortunately, some of the dependencies aren't in every GNU/Linux
> distribution.

> 2. It is easier for doing Windows and MacOS builds to have the
> dependencies bundled with the app code.

I don't think so. We have Craft (https://community.kde.org/Craft) for taking
care of all kinds of dependencies for various platforms and for building our
applications for Windows and MacOS (https://binary-factory.kde.org/). Don't
reinvent the wheel!
·
> 3. To protect against sudden API changes across distros, it's best to
> freeze the versions of the dependencies needed by keeping them bundled.
> This way I can upgrade them when I'm prepared to rather than as an
> emergency fix.

This is also nicely handled by Craft. For Linux, it's much better to rely on
the libraries provided by the distribution. Or are you prepared to handle
security advisories for all of those libraries?

Regards,
Ingo