KJournald in KDE-Review

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Thu Nov 3 13:58:06 GMT 2022

Hi,

nice work!

Here's some comments, nitpicks, etc on the code (might apply to other
files than the one mentioned, too):

* bootmodel.cpp: I don't think you need to call beginResetModel() when
you populate it in the constructor
* bootmodel.cpp: QAbstractListModel is a flat list with a single column,
no need to re-implement parent(), columnCount(), etc
* bootmodel.cpp: Admittedly it's prettier to have an Q_INVOKABLE for
bootId but if you made the roles Q_ENUM, you could call data() from QML
wiht e.g. bootModel.data(bootModel.index(row, 0), BootModel.FooRole)
* colorizer.cpp: Multi-look-up: !contains() + operator[] + value(),
probably use find() and friends
* fieldfilterproxymodel.cpp: Could use the enum values/ints instead of
custom mapping through QString (c.f. Q_ENUM suggestion above)
* fieldfilterproxymodel.h: you can probably READ rowCount for
Q_PROPERTY(int count) since it has a default-argument, instead of adding
a count() that just calls rowCount()
* fieldfilterproxymodel.h: get() seems unused?
* fieldfilterproxymodel.cpp: It feels like your filterAcceptsRow() impl
is superfluous and you could be using setFilterFixedString?
* filtercriteriamodel.cpp: You should emit dataChanged() in setData()
when data has changed.
* journaldhelper.cpp: instead of going QString -> std::string -> c_str,
you could be doing qUtf8Printable()
* journaldhelper.cpp: mapField could be using QMetaEnum to turn an enum
into a string
* journalduniquequerymodel.cpp: openJournalFromPath() could be reusing
the QFileInfo instance for isDir() and isFile() check
* journalduniquequerymodel.cpp: openJournalFromPath() returns true, even
if opening fails
* journalduniquequerymodel.cpp: it wasn't entirely clear to me what the
std::pair<.., bool> is for
* journalduniquequerymodel.cpp: you probably shouldn't return true if
setData() didn't change anything?
* journalduniquequerymodel.cpp: selectedEntries() appears unused

I suggest you run QAbstractItemModelTester against your models to verify
they fully behave as Qt expects.

Some comments on the UI:
* Would be nice to have a filter bar in the "Unit" and "Process" list I
have a thousand units there, it's hard to find them.
* There should be tooltips on elided items, e.g. when the Unit name gets
elided
* the ItemDelegate in the bootIdComboBox should have width: parent.width
* The scrolling behavior for the journal content is awful, you probably
want to wrap your ListView in a ScrollView for proper desktop-y mouse
wheel scrolling
* There isn't really any keyboard navigation, e.g. I should be able to
focus the LogView and use arrow keys to go up and down an item
* A filter feature rather than highlight would be lovely, e.g. "kde" and
find all items matching kde
* It's not really obvious that selecting copies to clipboard, the
selection should stay, and maybe there should be a context menu
* I somehow managed to break the LogView in a way that I couldn't scroll
anymore using the arrow buttons or mouse wheel, just using the
scrollbar, couldn't reproduce, though
* Global menu doesn't use title capitalization. You probably want to add
i18nc("@action:inmenu", "..."), too
* The options in the "View" menu should be using radio buttons
* KAboutData is a Q_GADGET, you should be able to expose that to QML
without a proxy class
* For FlattenedFilterCriteriaProxyModel you might want to check out
KDescendantsProxyModel which is for turning a tree into a flat list, and
combine that with DelegateModel to pick a specific rootIndex for
displaying only a certain tree branch

Cheers
Kai Uwe