Issues with mail delivery

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon May 16 10:40:54 BST 2022

Hi all,

It has been brought to our attention that for the past several days our
systems have been unable to deliver email to a number of people due to a
blacklisting issue with Spamhaus.

The issue commenced approximately May 11 13:00 UTC, and has only just been
resolved now. Unfortunately all affected email has been permanently lost.

This issue affected people whose providers advertise use of IPv6 and make
use of Spamhaus for spam filtering.

This issue occurred due to our service provider (Bytemark, now IOMart)
allocating out addresses from IPv6 netblocks individually. This breaks an
assumption made by Spamhaus that each customer is allocated their own /64
IPv6 netblock and led to them blacklisting our system for the bad behaviour
of another customer.

A complaint concerning this has been filed with Bytemark/IOMart.

As an interim solution I have now reconfigured Letterbox to prefer IPv4 for
delivery of email which side steps the issue, at the cost of not making use
of IPv6.

and @kdemail.net aliases.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,