Git merge workflow: reverse it?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue May 10 09:59:24 BST 2022

On Dienstag, 10. Mai 2022 09:36:17 CEST Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> can we get an update on this?
>
> Plasma is full on cherry-pick now but in KDE Gear it's inconsistent and
> frustrating when some projects use cherry-pick (e.g. Kate) and some
> don't (e.g. Dolphin).
>
> I don't really mind what the outcome is but I need it to be consistent
> and predictable where to target my MRs, at least for every domain
> (Plasma, Gear, ..).

I can imagine a consistent rule for Frameworks (if that's what you mean by
"domain"). Apart from that I can only imagine a consistent rule per
development team, e.g. Plasma team or PIM team, but not for Gear as a whole
which is just a random mix of the products of different teams with different
workflows. Of course, this doesn't stop the different development teams from
adopting the same merge workflow. But this cannot be forced on all development
teams.

Regards,
Ingo