Plasma on Wayland VirtualBox guest screen resize

Vadim Galitsin vadim.galitsyn at oracle.com
Tue Feb 1 20:58:18 GMT 2022

Hi guys,

I am currently looking to the issue with VirtualBox guest screen resizing when guest is running Plasma on Wayland (using VMSVGA graphics configuration).

For my experiments, I use Kubuntu 22.04 guest with Plasma 5.23. Guest Additions are from our latest development build (https://www.virtualbox.org/download/testcase/VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.97-149665.iso).

In general, screen resizing does not work. If I, for example, drag right-bottom corner of the guest window, I can see that guest screen up-scales, but does not increase in size. So, it looks like a zoom-in effect when image size stays the same.

For resizing on a guest side, we are using tool called VBoxDRMClient (https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/x11/VBoxClient/display-drm.cpp). This tool receives resize hints from host and injects them into vmwgfx driver using custom ioctl DRM_IOCTL_VMW_UPDATE_LAYOUT. This approach works for X11 Desktop Environments as well as for Gnome3 on Wayland. However, not for Plasma case.

What do you think if we could take a look to the issue from both sides? If there is something in your mind what VBoxDRMClient is potentially missing to have better integration with KDE/Plasma, we could discuss that.

Best regards,
Vadim