Reviewing the process for giving people commit rights

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Apr 13 08:26:42 BST 2022

On Samstag, 2. April 2022 11:21:11 CEST Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nate Graham wrote:
> > This caused a problem recently in KWin. A new contributor was given
> > commit rights very soon after he appeared, and then immediately after
> > that, he inappropriately merged a not-fully-reviewed an un-accepted
> > merge request
> > (https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/1980). It seems
> > that he did not have a sense of the cultural norms around committing to
> > KDE repos, and giving him commit access was probably premature.
>
> Well, the question this calls for is why the merge request was still not
> fully reviewed almost six weeks after submission. I would guess that that is
> what the misunderstanding came from: the submitter most likely assumed that
> the changes were fine given that there were no outstanding comments. (The
> submitter did try to address those comments that you had in those six
> weeks.)
>
> I should also point out that the complaints in Xaver Hugl's post-merge
> review were all only formatting/whitespace, choice of comment sign, and
> brace issues (with no effect on the end user at all),

Several PIM libraries have clang-format pre-commit hooks that prevent
formatting issues in the first place (and, occasionally, annoy me because the
hooks also complain about formatting issues in unstaged/uncommitted code, e.g.
temporarily commented out code where the commented out code is not correctly
indented).

Formatting is something no reviewer should have to waste brain energy on
nowadays.

Regards,
Ingo