Reviewing the process for giving people commit rights

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Apr 1 17:07:38 BST 2022

On Freitag, 1. April 2022 17:52:50 CEST Ivan Čukić wrote:
> On Friday, 1 April 2022 17:36:50 CEST Nicolas Fella wrote:
> > To summarize: I don't see a need to change how applications are
>
> +1

-+1

> One of the things I saw as a mark of a welcoming and trusting community
> when I joined KDE was that everyone had direct push access to trunk
> (good old SVN).

Exactly. I very much agree with this.

I very much prefer a low entry barrier for giving new people commit rights and
I see no reason to change our current process just because a single push
didn't follow our agreed standard. It's not as if a large proportion of new
people would cause trouble, is it?

How are new people supposed to learn our ways if they are not allowed to make
errors?

It's not as if people could do serious damage. In case of severe problems with
a committer it's easy to revoke their commit rights and shouldn't be too
difficult to undo the damage they have done.

Regards,
Ingo