Reviewing the process for giving people commit rights

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri Apr 1 16:28:35 BST 2022

Hello folks,

When someone is proposed to get commit access, currently a sponsor
proposes it, the intended recipient contacts sysadmin, sysadmin reviews,
and then asks the sponsor if it's okay. This process essentially only
allows for sysadmin review, since the sponsor has already implicitly
approved by virtue of being the sponsor.

This caused a problem recently in KWin. A new contributor was given
commit rights very soon after he appeared, and then immediately after
that, he inappropriately merged a not-fully-reviewed an un-accepted
merge request
(https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/1980). It seems
that he did not have a sense of the cultural norms around committing to
KDE repos, and giving him commit access was probably premature.

I'd like to propose that we need to make the commit access review
process open to review by more people so that we can flag issues like
this sooner. Maybe kde-core-devel?

Nate