Towards Excellent Defect Management

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Sep 17 00:53:35 BST 2021

On Friday, 17 September 2021 00:46:33 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> > server-side retracing. I've spent many afternoons reading up on and
> > poking demo instances of every somewhat suitable software I could
> > find, and Sentry looks like the best option for what we need. It is
> > practically free software as far as we are concerned, scales
> > tremendously, has systems for server-side deduplication, server-side
> > cross-distro/platform retracing (which might also help with some of

https://open.sentry.io/licensing/

It's refreshing to read a straightforward take on this. And indeed, BSL 1.1 is
**not** OSI-approved (I've watched plenty of the internal discussions about it
and similar licenses) because it falls foul of freedom 0: the freedom to use
the software for any purpose. That's roughly the same reason the "do no evil"
license isn't OSI-approved ("but daaad, I *want* to do evil!").

> +1 makes sense to me, it's exciting to find new ways that people can
> help make our software better without a big effort.
>
> I'd say the purpose of our manifesto clause that we need to rely
> exclusively on FOSS tools wasn't designed for cases like this one.

+1 to that, yes.

[ade] (pragmatically)