Towards Excellent Defect Management

Julian / xyquadrat mail at xyquadrat.ch
Tue Sep 14 18:43:48 BST 2021

Most of Sentry is licensed under the BSL (Business Source License),
which prohibits using the software to create your own commercial service
providing "Application Monitoring Services"
(https://github.com/getsentry/sentry/blob/master/LICENSE).
This is not an OSI-approved license. The issue whether such a license
would be acceptable to use in KDE infrastructure has come up a few
months back, in the thread "is a BSL licensed service acceptable for
sysadminy use cases?" which was started on the 26.05
(https://marc.info/?t=162203805600001&r=1&w=2). There was no real
conclusion in the thread.

Personally I'd be fine with BSL, since for all purposes of KDE, it is
indeed free software, but I understand that some people would prefer a
true OSI license. The license Sentry uses also includes a "timebomb"
clause that releases all code under Apache 2.0 after 4 years. It seems
difficult to use a 4 year old version of a piece of software that is
exposed online, but it could potentially be a true FOSS option.

Cheers,
Julian / xyquadrat