Should we consider project basenames unique?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Nov 24 04:59:55 GMT 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:29 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:10 AM ashark at linuxcomp.ru <ashark at linuxcomp.ru>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> > There is currently a problem that projects are identified by path in
> invent.kde.org. But in pkgbuilds in Arch Linux the makepkg clones repo
> twice, first time to the dir with pkgbuild, and second time to the srcdir
> for build package. And that second repo has first repo as origin, i.e. its
> origin is path to the first repo. And this leads to breakage of determining
> project identifier in cmake module. To workaround, I either need to clone
> to the path that matches the regexp, such as crutch.kde.org:pim/zanshin.git
> or fixing the origin of the problem.
> >
> > I wanted to fix it by identifying the project by its name. See
> https://invent.kde.org/sdk/releaseme/-/merge_requests/13.
> >
> > Now, the question is, could we consider project names unique? In that
> case, we can merge my mr, and path crutch will not be needed anymore.
>
> I agree it would be a problem to have different repositories with the
> same name. I'm not sure how we can enforce it though.

This is something that Sysadmin already encountered and resolved.

Please see the 'identifier' key in the repository metadata (located at
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata/ in the projects/ subfolder)
which we guarantee to be unique.
This is already used and relied upon by scripty as well as our internal
systems (such as commits.kde.org) when referencing repositories.

The repository name itself (stripped of any folders) is not guaranteed to
be unique.

> Aleix

Cheers,
Ben