New repo in kdereview: kasts

Bart De Vries bart at mogwai.be
Sun May 30 21:15:54 BST 2021

Hi David,

> just reading this thread, without looking at kasts:
>
>>> - something is wonky with the colors on desktop. in all listviews it
>>> looks like the delegates are inactive/disabled colors for some reason.
>>> e.g. https://i.imgur.com/xkgigs4.png
>>
>> Ah, yes, this is intended behaviour.
>> When you first import a podcast feed (or OPML), it will mark all
>> episodes up to that point as 'played'.  Which will show them with those
>> inactive/disabled colors.  Once the feed's been imported, new episodes
>> will show up with regular colors until they've been marked as 'played'.
>> This behaviour will save users having to manually mark all episodes as
>> marked.
>
>  From reading this email, that seems strange to me. From FreeCAD I learned that
> it is confusing when controls look disabled, but are not, and actually want to
> visualize something else. AFAIK there is a set of “active” colors, maybe the
> list items could use these to mark new episodes as “new”? Otherwise, use a
> bold or italic font?

Thanks for the input.
Even though this approach is used in other podcast players as well (i.e.
graying out of played episodes), I can see that it might be a confusing
UI pattern.  So it might indeed be worth investigating some alternatives.

Maybe adding e.g. "<checkmark-icon> Played" to the delegate will also
make it visually distinct enough, while making the intent clearer.
I will try it out, and run the options by VDG.

E.g. before: https://imgur.com/a/79FB3lh
and after: https://imgur.com/a/cRBzYf3

>>> - I see you are hardcoding a color in GenericHeader.qml, I'm not super
>>> sure that will work correctly across different themes but then I also
>>> don't really see the color actively used :shrug:
>>
>> There are two hardcoded colours: one is an alpha mask to make the
>> blurred background picture on the header dark enough to have enough
>> contrast to be able to read the feed title in white (second hardcoded
>> colour).
>> This should work across all possible themes, but I'm open to other, more
>> elegant solutions.
>
> If you use Qt 5.15, you can use QColorTransform/applyColorTransform() to do
> cool stuff with image colors. QPainter also supports various composition
> modes, which allow other cool stuff.

Thanks for the pointers.  While those transforms don't seem to be
directly applicable to this particular situation, they might come in
handy at a later point in time.

> Of course, you should check yourself, how much my suggestions apply to your
> project. :)
>
> Cheers, David

Thank you!

Best regards,