Adding a MimeType without breaking existing associations

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Wed May 26 18:20:07 BST 2021

Hi everyone,

the other day I noticed that Engrampa (MATE's archive viewer) could open
some Windows EXE files so I could pull out self-extracting archive
contents without running the executable. I found that this actually came
from libarchive and was curious if flipping a switch in Ark could
achieve the same.

Lo and behold it does! However, after I added Windows EXE as Mimetype to
Ark it suddenly would want to open all my EXE files in it rather than
Wine, something I am not willing to accept to suddenly happen
unexpectedly after a system update.

How can I add this Mimetype to ark safely, without affecting existing
file type associations?

Cheers
Kai Uwe