Koko in KDEReview

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue May 4 15:53:39 BST 2021

On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 15:50:27 CEST Halla Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 May 2021 15:28:30 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> > I don't see anyone really trying to argue otherwise.
>
> I have certainly made that argument many times. Since only developers can
> add tags, it will be impossible for ordinary users to provide enough
> information to classify the bug. Tagging systems suck big-time. Looking it
> GIMP's gitlab issues shows that not even the OS is reliably tagged!

What Halla said. Every time we have this conversation, Krita is the special
case, because it *is* a special case -- many many users, diverse platforms,
non-technical bug-reports. We must not discount Krita's experiences and needs
-- conversely not ignore the needs of some obscure edge-case tool that is only
going to get FreeBSD sysadmins to file bug reports (which might be *fine* in
GitLab issues, because there's only ever 3 users).

Any migration **has** to be able to handle huge numbers of issues, and also
provide maintainers tools to manage them, and to handle the diversity of issue
meta-data that bugzilla handles.

To move this conversation forward, we'd need a concrete example of "these are
the tools used to manage issue lifecycle, similar to how bugs lifecycle in
bugzilla works". I know Harald has built tools and views and things to help
out there, but we do need a .. well, a concrete proposal for how things would
work.

That it's **possible** to manage a gazillion issues in GitLab  (maybe EE
features, though) can be seen by looking at https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/
gitlab/-/issues GitLab issues in GitLab: there's 37 thousand of them, but
there's also 78 pages of labels at https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/
labels to pick from. I suspect there's a non-0 amount of FTE's doing bug-
labeling -- can we afford that?

[ade]