Koko in KDEReview

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue May 4 00:01:27 BST 2021

On 5/3/21 4:44 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dimarts, 4 de maig de 2021, a les 0:36:57 (CEST), Carl Schwan va escriure:
> "The project stays true to established practices"
>
> The established practice in KDE is clearly using bugzilla for bugs.

Sure, but if we never investigated alternatives and stuck our heads in
the sand when superior ones appeared, we'd be stuck in the technological
stone age.

I spend at least 4 hours a day on bugs.kde.org--triaging bugs, moving
them around, renaming them, commenting on them, fixing them, performing
admin maintenance, and so on. The user experience is atrocious. The
developer experience is atrocious. The upstream product is dead and
development has ceased. I strongly believe that we need to make plans to
migrate away from it. This is an opinion that will come to resemble a
fact more and more as time goes on.

It's not my personal preference for individual projects to use GitLab
Issues rather than Bugzilla; I'd prefer a coordinated migration. But I
think that trying to fight against its use is a total waste of
everyone's time. The migration is going to happen one way or another, be
it piecemeal or coordinated--and it's time we admitted this and made
technical and organizational plans to support using and moving to GitLab
issues rather than pretending that we can stay with a dead product that
nobody likes forever.

We have discovered one such blocker: DrKonqi support. I say let's add
that so we can proceed with more productive lines of discussion.

Nate