kconfig_compiler question: reusing the enum of a previous config entry

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Sat Mar 20 16:02:19 GMT 2021

Hi all,

I am working on https://invent.kde.org/graphics/okular/-/merge_requests/366,
where I am trying to get two config entries that use the same enum.

The entry EnumColorMode defines an enum with values like “Normal” = 0 and
“InvertLuma” = 6.

I can reuse the enum in these two ways:

1. Write <choices name="Okular::SettingsCore::EnumRenderMode" />.
This is documented as “It is also possible to [use] enums external to the
generated class”, just that the enum is not actually external.

2. Write <choices name="EnumRenderMode" /> in all entries, and the first time
define it as usual.
This creates a global enum and then treats it as external enum.

Both ways work, but don’t use the KConfigSkeleton::ItemEnum as I defined it.
This means, instead of “InvertLuma”, it will write “6” to the config file.

Is there a proper way to reuse the enum of a previous config entry?

Cheers, David