Skanpage moved to kdereview

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Aug 17 15:25:08 BST 2021

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 9:46 PM Alexander Stippich <a.stippich at gmx.net> wrote:
> > - getUnitString -> can that maybe use
> > https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/html/classKFormat.html
>
> What do you have in mind here? getUnitString just matches the enum of libksane
> to a unit suffix string, it does not format the values in any way.

I was rather thinking that you can get the localized suffix out of
kformat. but I suppose there is actually no API for that. So...
nevermind.

> > - something is wonky with the "Scan area size" label in the options
> > window. it appears to be constructed from the string "Scan area size"
> > and the string ":". they should be one string though. indeed the other
> > options are one string :shrug:
>
> Hmm, how does this look? I don't see a difference.
> There actually is a subtle difference between how this string and the others
> are obtained: Scan area size is a custom option of libksane and is translated
> there, whereas the others are coming from SANE directly. However, they are all
> appended the same way with "%1:" in Skanpage.

You can only see that sort of thing with the x-test language. If the
label is already translated in libksane I guess that explains it and
is fine.

> > - not really a fan of the comboboxes and long options label in the
> > toolbar. it feels very crowded and with long scanner names the window
> > easily takes up more than half my screen width at minimum size
>
> There has been a discussion already to move the scanner name to the window
> title like it is done in Skanlite. This would save some space. Also, the
> comboboxes are currently not scaled to their content width. Then there would
> also be some possible savings.
> Personally I find the quick access that the comboboxes provide for the most
> important options very useful.

I totally agree that having stuff at the fingertips is ever so handy.
Perhaps also ask the VDG for input?
Dolphin for example has some view properties in the (smaller) bottom
bar rather than the regular toolbar. Perhaps that is something that
could work here.
In any event this isn't anything that holds up the review, just my 2 cents.

HS