CMake kauth_install_* with system kauth and user CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Oct 19 16:44:52 BST 2020

On Montag, 19. Oktober 2020 17:22:22 CEST Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Montag, 19. Oktober 2020 17:21:28 CEST Harald Sitter wrote:
> > I'm not sure it's a good idea, but we could treat this like
> > KDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS. By default we'll simply install to
> > $CMAKE_PREFIX/share/polkit-1/actions/ unless explicitly configured with
> > KDE_INSTALL_USE_POLKIT_PATHS in which case we'll use whatever polkit uses.
> > What sets this apart from qt_syspath of course is that not using the
> > polkit path basically never makes sense as it'd be broken. So maybe the
> > default state should be ON and when one is sure that polkit isn't needed
> > one could turn it OFF.
>
> Installing something that's never going to be used - why? I would much
> rather prefer making it explicit by saying:
>
> Either you install it to the correct path, or you don't install it at all.

FWIW, for a very similar problem (udev rules instead of polkit rules) bluez-qt
has the CMAKE flag INSTALL_UDEV_RULE to disable installation of udev rules.

If have this in my .kdesrc-buildrc:
=====
options bluez-qt
    cmake-options -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULE=0
end options
=====

So, maybe add a KDE_INSTALL_POLKIT_RULE[S] (or ..._ACTION[S]) flag to allow
disabling the installation of polkit stuff.

Regards,
Ingo