plasma-systemmonitor in kdereview

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Oct 1 13:11:16 BST 2020

On 01.10.20 11:36, Arjen Hiemstra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd hereby like to announce that plasma-systemmonitor is in kdereview. It can
> be found at https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-systemmonitor .
>
> plasma-systemmonitor is a new system monitor UI built with Kirigami. It makes
> use of the ksystemstats daemon and the faces system for system monitor
> plasmoids that were both introduced in Plasma 5.19.
>
> Our current plan is to do a "preview release" alongside Plasma 5.20, then have
> it be an official part of Plasma with 5.21.

Cool stuff.

L10n is currently a bit incomplete.
Notably
- the pages files lack any localization at all and I'm also not sure how
those could be best localized.
- the 'configure columns' feature doesn't load the translated strings
into the checkboxes

On the subject of configure columns I feel like word wrapping would look
better than eliding there https://i.imgur.com/RbAeUhH.png

Something is astray with memory calculation. See konsole which is
somehow listed as 2.6gib https://i.imgur.com/MjIpj3O.png but its actual
children aren't getting nowhere near that number. I'm guessing it's
because even detached processes (notably vscode here) are in the same
cgroup? If so we probably can't do much about this?

The table highlights are getting messed up when new apps appear/disappear.
New app appears: https://i.imgur.com/tacWeoI.png mind that suddenly the
ksysguard memory cell is selected as well. More or less the same happens
when a process disappears. The cells seem somewhat random though Memory
is almost always a highlighted one.

Sometimes the CPU column shows nan% for new apps. Happens a lot with
bustle for me. In fact, sometimes I have two entries one of which is
nan% for all eternity https://i.imgur.com/HLavLsI.png

Possibly related: when editing the Processes page and discarding all
changes the R/W columns show negative values for a second or two.
https://i.imgur.com/amrfewG.png

Also the columns in the processes page lack labels.

HS