Gitlab Project Names, Descriptions and Icons

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri May 29 23:34:37 BST 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 5:12 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El dijous, 28 de maig de 2020, a les 12:43:05 CEST, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > One of the inquiries Sysadmin received in the lead up to the Gitlab
> > migration was how developers would change the Name, Description and
> > Icon of their project (as this is something only those with Maintainer
> > rights can do on Gitlab, which also lets you do a number of other
> > things we need to restrict)
> >
> > As a solution to this going forward this information will be synced on
> > a daily basis from the sysadmin/repo-metadata repository to Gitlab.
> > This repository is open to push to all developers, and we've just
> > completed an initial sync of this information.
> >
> > Please feel free to amend your project names and descriptions as
> > needed. Note however that they do need to conform with the
> > requirements Gitlab has for names and descriptions (which a number of
> > projects currently do not unfortunately - a list of these is attached)
>
> What are "the requirements Gitlab has for names and descriptions"?

For descriptions the only real limitation is that it isn't longer than
250 characters.

For names however the rules are a little more complex, with the Python
compatible regex (using the regex module vs. the normal re module)
being:
^[\p{Alnum}\u00A9-\u1f9ff_][\p{Alnum}\p{Pd}\u00A9-\u1f9ff_\. ]*$

Translating this, the first character must either be Alphanumeric
(extended unicode alphabets permitted here), in a certain set of
Unicode characters or an underscore.
Following that, the same is allowed in addition to spaces, dashes and
full stops.

> i.e. what changes are needed to those wrong names/descriptions to make them valid?
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

Cheers,
Ben