Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 3 00:10:57 BST 2020

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 2:13 AM Michał Policht <michal at policht.pl> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Michal,

> Sorry for late response, but project "cutehmi" fits into "sdk" category
> better than "applications" (technically it's a framework, but I guess
> "frameorks" is reserved for well integrated KDE Frameworks).

I have now relocated CuteHMI within the proposed layout to SDK.

The initial allocation to applications/ was done based on it's
position at the moment in playground/base/

> Speaking generally on subject, categorization is always problematic.
> Categories often are fuzzy, they overlap, element can match more than
> one type/category/group at the same time and there are many criteria by
> which you could partition a set of elements.
>
> Maybe for future reference, it would be good if there was some
> explanation on how these groups are created. From what I can see large
> projects organized into subprojects have dedicated groups (e.g. plasma,
> kdevelop). There are groups based on project status (e.g. unmaintained,
> historical). Then we have a division, which seems to be based on use
> case from development applicability perspective (e.g. libraries,
> frameworks, sdk). Then we have applications divided into something like
> user interests (e.g. multimedia, games, office, education). Since you
> mention that project may belong to many groups it would be nice to
> clarify, if for example game-oriented library (which occupies
> "libraries") fits into "games" group as well or.... is "games" group
> reserved for end-user applications only.

There are no hard and fast rules for categorisation.

Libraries that are only suitable for a specific purpose (like Games)
could certainly go in Games.
In general we'd expect maintainers to indicate a preference when
requesting repositories.

> Regards
> Michał

Cheers,