Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 1 20:23:55 BST 2020

> On 1 May 2020, at 15:17, Alexander Potashev <aspotashev-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:47 AM Bhushan Shah <bshah-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Use case 4 : Tom is a student in Germany and is interested in
>> contributing to wikitolearn, and he asks where can I find code of the
>> wikitolearn?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a similar use case. Sometimes I need to share a URL to a
> project. For this purpose I used to share e.g.
> https://cgit.kde.org/releaseme.git/about
>
> Does this migration make such permalinks impossible?
>

> From what I see, we lose permalinks because
> 1. cgit.kde.org will be discontinued
> 2. A once valid URL https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk may become
> unavailable if the project moves to another group, for example
> https://invent.kde.org/unmaintained/knetwalk

As I understand it, games/knetwalk will become a redirect to unmaintained/knetwalk, so the old link will still work. This is handled by GitLab automatically. Even on gitlab.com, if you rename a repository on your personal account or transfer it to another group or user, the old name will forward to the new one.

--
Nicolás