pvfViewer in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Mar 30 22:24:29 BST 2020

El dilluns, 30 de març de 2020, a les 20:55:16 CEST, Steve Allewell va escriure:
> On 30/03/2020 18:36, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El diumenge, 29 de març de 2020, a les 22:28:55 CEST, Steve Allewell va escriure:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> pvfViewer (https://userbase.kde.org/pvfViewer) is moving to kdereview.
> >> It is currently in scratch/sallewell/pvfviewer and the intention is to move it
> >> to extragear/graphics when it has completed its review.
> >>
> >> The application allows viewing and printing of PC Stitch Pattern Viewer files
> >> downloaded from https://www.patternsonline.com
> >>
> >> Because these patterns are only available by purchasing them from the website,
> >> I have created one using the same file format so that it can be used for
> >> testing.  I wasn't sure where the best place would be to upload it, or whether
> >> to attach it with an email.  Suggestions are welcome.
> >>
> >> I have tested the application with a number of files that were supplied by the
> >> user that requested the application be written and all work correctly.
> >
> > Is it really not worth it merging it to kxstitch ?
> >
> > I know nothing about this stuff but seems "similar"?
> >
> > Would be good to have a sample file to try yes.
> >
> > So that pvf file is a pdf file with some other stuff i see.
> >
> > Would it actually make any sense to instead add support to Okular?
> >
> > Or there is stuff that is needed that doesn't fit the okular UI?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   Albert
> >

> >> Regards
> >>

> >> Steve
> >>

> Thanks for the feedback Albert
>
> As KXStitch is a pattern editor and the pvf files are non-editable, I thought
> it best to keep them separate since they may well be aimed at different
> demographics, consumers rather than creators.

Makes sense :)

> I have attached a sample file, hope that is ok.

Sure.

> The pvf file format is a small header followed by an embedded jpg file and an
> embedded pdf file.
>
> I did think about the possibility of adding it to Okular, but with the
> requirement to view the jpg image and the pdf document together I was not sure
> if it fit directly with the Okular UI.  Perhaps that is something you could
> advise on.

It would not be able to work like you have it now with the jpeg on the left and the pdf on the right, it would be all a linear document, with say the jpeg first and then the pdf contents.

If that's not what you want (which makes sense), it's fine not to use Okular.

Cheers,
  Albert