Banning QNetworkAccessManager

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Feb 20 08:11:50 GMT 2020

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 10:04:11 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The targeting of Qt6 is due to this aiming at dev when that was still Qt
> > 5.x, but you are right of course, somebody needs to do the work there to
> > drive this to completion, no matter in which version it will actually
> > land.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > > We need a solution that will ensure software released today doesn't
> > > cause us pain in several years time, because as I illustrated in an
> > > earlier email to this thread, software has a habit of remaining in use
> > > for an extremely long amount of time (August 2014 being the release
> > > date of the Marble versions in question hitting that old URL).
> > >
> > > The easiest path forward is to simply ban QNetworkAccessManager.
> >
> > That might be the easiest path for you, but certainly not for me, given
> > two of the modules I work on most atm are using QNAM (not even to talk to
> > KDE infrastructure), and would suddenly no longer be allowed to be hosted
> > here?
> Ideally they would move to whatever replacement we have for QNAM
> should it be banned :)
>
> > Also, I have yet to see a suggestion for a viable alternative to QNAM. The
> > initially proposed fork would mean trading the possibility of broken
> > redirect handling for an unmaintained HTTP stack, I don't think that's a
> > good deal for the security of our users.
>
> It isn't perfect yes.
>
> Sadly however the negative user experience created by countless broken
> applications due to the Qt Project being uncooperative in this matter
> for many years doesn't really give us much in the way of other
> options.
>
> It doesn't help when Developers come to us asking for temporary
> measures to be put in place to keep their applications alive as
> they're getting bug reports about broken functionality. Saying no
> saves us the effort of maintaining the fixes, but leaves applications
> broken - which is not a fun position to be in as the one making the
> decision.
>
> > Instead, how about the way we approached this for KUserFeedback? Before
> > getting things deployed on KDE infrastructure for use by library or
> > application code, sysadmins and developers review if the implementation is
> > allowing easy and secure operation of the infrastructure, redirect
> > handling
> > being one part of this. In case of KUserFeedback you suggested protocol
> > changes, they were implemented, and automatic tests for a number of
> > possible redirect scenarios were added. Worked out fine IMHO, despite
> > QNAM (the needed changes weren't due to missing redirect handling, but
> > due to somewhat non- standard redirects on HTTP POST).
>
> Having a Sysadmin review an implementation that will be talking to a
> server is in general always a good idea, even outside of this
> particular usecase.
> It certainly helps protect against this class of issues that is for sure.
>
> It isn't a perfect defense though, as if the review isn't requested

Right. However, as sysadmins are in control of what gets deployed on our
infrastructure, you are in the perfect position to make sure such a review
happens. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that being a hard
requirement for getting server-side components or data deployed.

Regards,
Volker