Fixing QNetworkAccessManager use

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 20:58:08 GMT 2020

Am Mittwoch, 19. Februar 2020, 21:01:20 CET schrieb Johan Ouwerkerk:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:09 PM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
>
> <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> > Personally I am still unsure what the actual issue is. Why are redirects
> > needed at all. Why all the address changes all the time?
>
> It is part of the HTTP spec for servers to be able to inform clients
> that resource /foo/bar has moved to /bar/baz, either temporarily or
> permanently.

:) Thanks for that explanation, but that was not my question here (that part I
am well aware of, done my share of web stuff).

It was rather: why are subdomain names and/or access paths not once properly
designed, but instead changed so often that redirection seems so important to
be a default feature? Just because one can?
When we write code, we try to keep API stable as much as possible, and only
change API when really useful, and that means for the consumer. When doing
references in text we try to have eternally stable pointers (thanks ISBN &
Co.),

But this request for stable URLs on the internet might be an idealistic fight
against windmills of a web 1.0 person...

Cheers
Friedrich