KCGroups in KDEreview

Johan Ouwerkerk jm.ouwerkerk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 19:01:09 GMT 2020

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:48 PM Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:

> Good point. Got a similar question though, which other unit types would be
> useful to control? Reason being that API wise I'd smell an enum for something
> like this.

Well if this library would evolve towards C++ API for interacting with
systemd, then the following could potentially be useful:

- *.timer (cron jobs)
- *.scope (confinement to a cgroup)
- *.slice (resource partitioning between cgroups)
- *.mount (mount options for filesystems)
- *.automount (automatically activating a mount for plug and play
removable storage without too much fsck risk)
- *.service (managing background services)
- *.socket (in case your services do things with socket based
activation, e.g. dbs)

Some of these are obviously already covered, but because I'm not
familiar with the KCGroups code base I just listed them for the sake
of completeness. Covering them all would give you the basic building
block for a GUI for systemd more generally.

Additionally, if the "all the wrappers included" approach is taken it
might eventually also be worth considering systemd-homed (portable
user directories backed by encrypted storage).

Regards,

- Johan Ouwerkerk