Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration: clarifications

Ben Cooksley bcooksley-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 20:31:02 BST 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 6:04 AM Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > We have made a big fuss in the past about having different projects
> > that do the same thing and now we'll have that but also we'll have
> > several projects with the same name?
> > It really feels off to me and I wonder if this is related to the move to
> > gitlab.
>
> +1 to both sentiments - that projects should have different names and that
> this is a bit off topic for the gitlab migration.

The projects *DO* have very different names. That *HAS NOT* changed.
To use the example Bhushan gave above, one is called Plasma Mobile
Dialer and the other one is called Maui Dialer.

With the current git.kde.org setup, we have a flat namespace, so all
repositories if the name appears to be generic (as dialer is) have to
be namespaced by prefixing of the repository name.

With Gitlab however we will now namespaces that group repositories,
making the prefixing unnecessary and as some projects have complained
about, duplicative.

Otherwise you end up with plasma-mobile/plasma-mobile-dialer as your
path, which just looks silly.

> Cheers,
> Ivan

Regards,