Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:44:39 BST 2020

Um, guys… Google is your friend...

I am a former KDE Games developer. I play KPatience quite a lot, as well as other games to keep my brain active, especially during COVID-19 lockdown. Recently I thought I could see where the answer lay to three bugs in the solver(s), two in the Forty Eight variant and one, very recently reported, in the Klondike variant. So I thought I would have a look at the source code to see if my hypotheses might be correct and maybe work out a patch.

My first problem was to track down where the repos that I need are and how to clone read-only copies. I didn’t even know what websites they are on any more and KPatience is actually called kpat in the code (which I remembered). However I can google “source code KDE KPatience” and the pat repository comes up as the first hit, presumably because “KPatience” is used in the repository’s description. Again “… card games” got the repo as hit 2 and “… solitaire” (the American term for such games) got it as the first hit.

I have also found that several of the tricky cases mentioned earlier in this thread can be resolved with Google search terms beginning “source code KDE xxx”. For example, seeing xxx as “Plasma Mobile” get the repo as hit 2. And just using “go” as xxx finds the Kigo repository as hit 3. Even a search with xxx = “loderunner” finds the KGoldRunner repository as hit 1, even though Loderunner is not mentioned in the repository’s description. I wonder how far down repositories Google indexing goes. Even using xxx = “lode runner” (2 words), as suggested by Google, finds the KGoldrunner Handbook, though not the repository. Still, a smart newbie might guess the name used for that type of game in KDE and refine his source code search accordingly.

Even after I found the kpat repository, I could not understand where the souce code was getting the card decks it uses. I knew from memory that they are in some library somewhere, but there is no libkdecards. Googling with xxx = something like “library cards” found the cards as a sub-directory of the libkdegames repository.

So my suggestion is to keep whatever categories you like, including multiple categories as required, as long as the category names are in plain English, not KDE jargon. In addition, please continue to pepper repository descriptions with search terms (words) that are easy for laymen and non-core KDE developers to find.

Another possibility is to construct (automatically) a text-file “catalog” with one line for each of the 1000+ repositories, containing (at least) the repo name and description, but maybe other keywords. Then people could just “grep” and “sort” it to find what they wanted.

My 2 cents,
Ian Wadham.