Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 12:13:56 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:55 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:39 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 3:41 AM Bhushan Shah <bshah at kde.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > [Please keep sysadmin at kde.org list or bshah at kde.org in the CC for
> > > replies]
> > >
> > > Hello Community members,
> > >
> > > In view of upcoming Gitlab migration, we sysadmin team wants to share
> > > the recommended structuring for the repositories on Gitlab.
> > >
> > > We had multiple options,
> > >
> > > - Flat structure: In this option we would have everything under one
> > >   single namespace/group: https://invent.kde.org/kde/knetwalk
> > > - Subgroups under top-level group: In this option we would have a groups
> > >   under KDE namespace: https://invent.kde.org/kde/games/knetwalk
> > > - Groups at top level: In this option we would establish a series of
> > >   groups at the top level, e.g.  https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk
> > >
> > > We have discussed this with small but representative group of
> > > contributors or maintainers, and based on their suggestions, we
> > > recommend that we go with option 3. Having sub-groups at top level will
> > > allow us to,
> > >
> > > - Provides good visibility on all reviews, tasks and other items within
> > >   the groups/modules we define
> > > - Provides improvements to discoverability of projects
> > > - Makes it possible for groups of projects to establish a group level
> > >   task board should it fit their needs (for tracking a release for
> > >   instance)
> > > - Makes the most semantic sense, as the ‘KDE’ top level group suggested
> > >   in option 2 is duplicative considering the Gitlab instance is under
> > >   kde.org.
> > > - The discoverability of projects is maximised, as there is no need to
> > >   open the top level ‘KDE’ group before going into the subgroup.
> > >
> > > I've worked on draft "move" of the current set of the repositories in
> > > their respective subgroups at the repo-metadata project's branch [1].
> > > You can browse the directory structure to get idea of how final
> > > structure on Gitlab would look like.
> > >
> > > If we don't have any objections we would like to implement this next
> > > week and move projects to https://invent.kde.org.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Bhushan for sysadmin team
> > >
> > > [1] https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata.git/tree/projects-invent?h=bshah/invent
> >
> > Does this mean that to clone it we'll have to go "git clone
> > kde:games/knetwalk" or something along the lines?
>
> Yes.
>

> > If that's the case I'd much prefer if we didn't do this, at the moment
> > it's already uncomfortable for me to remember the URL for some of the
> > repos (e.g. is it sysadmin/ or not?), this will only increase the
> > problem and I personally don't see the advantage.
>
> So you'd rather that we have no way to easily see a list of just
> Plasma / Frameworks / PIM / etc reviews?
> (See https://invent.kde.org/groups/kde/-/merge_requests for an example
> of the problem)

> [...]

I don't know, I've always felt that the nesting we have nowadays
stemmed from svn's tree structure more than convenience.

I don't have the feeling I'd use that feature and I'm happy to
convinced otherwise.

While discoverability would be an incentive, I don't know if it will
make a difference since it would be especially useful to see how
repositories relate one to another, but it's something we generally
split explicitly through frameworks so I don't see that will help
much, other than for the very big suites (kdepim, plasma, etc).

I know you don't like it when I do this, but:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/explore/groups < gnome kept all the programs
under the same group
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/explore/groups < didn't, but they have
projects that have very little overlap of contributors

Aleix