Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Aleix Pol aleixpol-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 27 11:38:42 BST 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 3:41 AM Bhushan Shah <bshah-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [Please keep sysadmin-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org list or bshah-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org in the CC for
> replies]
>
> Hello Community members,
>
> In view of upcoming Gitlab migration, we sysadmin team wants to share
> the recommended structuring for the repositories on Gitlab.
>
> We had multiple options,
>
> - Flat structure: In this option we would have everything under one
>   single namespace/group: https://invent.kde.org/kde/knetwalk
> - Subgroups under top-level group: In this option we would have a groups
>   under KDE namespace: https://invent.kde.org/kde/games/knetwalk
> - Groups at top level: In this option we would establish a series of
>   groups at the top level, e.g.  https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk
>
> We have discussed this with small but representative group of
> contributors or maintainers, and based on their suggestions, we
> recommend that we go with option 3. Having sub-groups at top level will
> allow us to,
>
> - Provides good visibility on all reviews, tasks and other items within
>   the groups/modules we define
> - Provides improvements to discoverability of projects
> - Makes it possible for groups of projects to establish a group level
>   task board should it fit their needs (for tracking a release for
>   instance)
> - Makes the most semantic sense, as the ‘KDE’ top level group suggested
>   in option 2 is duplicative considering the Gitlab instance is under
>   kde.org.
> - The discoverability of projects is maximised, as there is no need to
>   open the top level ‘KDE’ group before going into the subgroup.
>
> I've worked on draft "move" of the current set of the repositories in
> their respective subgroups at the repo-metadata project's branch [1].
> You can browse the directory structure to get idea of how final
> structure on Gitlab would look like.
>
> If we don't have any objections we would like to implement this next
> week and move projects to https://invent.kde.org.
>
> Thanks!
> Bhushan for sysadmin team
>
> [1] https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata.git/tree/projects-invent?h=bshah/invent

Does this mean that to clone it we'll have to go "git clone
kde:games/knetwalk" or something along the lines?

If that's the case I'd much prefer if we didn't do this, at the moment
it's already uncomfortable for me to remember the URL for some of the
repos (e.g. is it sysadmin/ or not?), this will only increase the
problem and I personally don't see the advantage.

e.g. Is okular graphics or office? Is gwenview plasma or graphics? Is
krita graphics or its own thing?

I really prefer when I don't have to guess this kind of things when
fetching a repository.

Aleix