Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration

Bhushan Shah bshah at kde.org
Mon Apr 27 02:40:01 BST 2020

[Please keep sysadmin at kde.org list or bshah at kde.org in the CC for
replies]

Hello Community members,

In view of upcoming Gitlab migration, we sysadmin team wants to share
the recommended structuring for the repositories on Gitlab.

We had multiple options,

- Flat structure: In this option we would have everything under one
  single namespace/group: https://invent.kde.org/kde/knetwalk
- Subgroups under top-level group: In this option we would have a groups
  under KDE namespace: https://invent.kde.org/kde/games/knetwalk
- Groups at top level: In this option we would establish a series of
  groups at the top level, e.g.  https://invent.kde.org/games/knetwalk

We have discussed this with small but representative group of
contributors or maintainers, and based on their suggestions, we
recommend that we go with option 3. Having sub-groups at top level will
allow us to,

- Provides good visibility on all reviews, tasks and other items within
  the groups/modules we define
- Provides improvements to discoverability of projects
- Makes it possible for groups of projects to establish a group level
  task board should it fit their needs (for tracking a release for
  instance)
- Makes the most semantic sense, as the ‘KDE’ top level group suggested
  in option 2 is duplicative considering the Gitlab instance is under
  kde.org.
- The discoverability of projects is maximised, as there is no need to
  open the top level ‘KDE’ group before going into the subgroup.

I've worked on draft "move" of the current set of the repositories in
their respective subgroups at the repo-metadata project's branch [1].
You can browse the directory structure to get idea of how final
structure on Gitlab would look like.

If we don't have any objections we would like to implement this next
week and move projects to https://invent.kde.org.

Thanks!
Bhushan for sysadmin team

[1] https://cgit.kde.org/sysadmin/repo-metadata.git/tree/projects-invent?h=bshah/invent