Update on Status of Gitlab Migration

Ben Cooksley bcooksley-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 14 01:59:15 BST 2020

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 11:45 am Aleix Pol, <aleixpol-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:30 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> we
> instead
> > >
> > > I agree. gitlab.kde.org would make more sense to me, mirroring
> > > phabricator.kde.org.
> > >

> > There is no intention to change the name from invent.kde.org.
> >
> > We have a long precedent of not using the name of the software for the
> > name in DNS, and Gitlab is continuing with this, for example:
> > - bugs.kde.org is run by Bugzilla
> > - dot.kde.org is run by Drupal
> > - techbase.kde.org is run by Mediawiki
> > - conf.kde.org is run by Frab
> > - reimbursements.kde.org is run by travel-support-program
> > - websvn.kde.org is run by ViewVC
> > - build.kde.org and binary-factory.kde.org are both run by Jenkins
> > - stats.kde.org is run by Matomo (formerly Piwik)
> > - survey.kde.org is run by Limesurvey
> >
> > For essentially all of the above, calling it after the software
> > running it makes no sense, and given that in some cases we have
> > multiple instances would have made things more confusing
> > (jenkins1.kde.org and jenkins2.kde.org anyone?)
> >
> > Phabricator and Reviewboard were the only ones to not follow this
> > rule, and that was an error on our part.
> >
> > Given that there is a popular instance at Gitlab.com, referring to
> > ours as "KDE Invent" is more likely to ensure newcomers are not
> > confused (as they may not be aware that you can setup an instance of
> > Gitlab on your own systems)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ben
>
> We also use git.kde.org and svn.kde.org.

The name git.kde.org will be retired as part of the move to Gitlab.

The SSH host keys for the two machines are different, so it would cause
more issues than it doesn't to keep the hostname active.

We've also never supported HTTP access to the master copy of the
repositories so there isn't anything to keep alive there either.

> It would too mimic what others are doing at gitlab.gnome.org and
> gitlab.freedesktop.org. So at the very least we'll want a redirect.

Why do we need to mimic them?

If you Google "KDE Gitlab" then the first hit is invent.kde.org.

> Aleix

Cheers,
Ben