Update on Status of Gitlab Migration

Johan Ouwerkerk jm.ouwerkerk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 20:25:11 BST 2020

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 8:39 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> Yes, the hostname git.kde.org will be fully retired as part of this transition.
>
> From my understanding kdesrc-build will automatically pick this up
> once we update sysadmin/repo-metadata to show the new repository
> paths.
> This is something we'll confirm with mpyne though to ensure we can
> make the cutover as smooth as possible.

Just to be clear, my understanding based on reading the
`Updated/Git.pm` module is that KDE repo paths are abstracted via
~/.gitconfig URL remapping using `insteadOf`and `pushInsteadOf`.
Currently the code manipulates the user's ~/.gitconfig to bind the
correct mappings to the `kde:` prefix (this happens even before
cloning sysadmin repos for metadata).

So if my understanding of the code is correct, the entire switch over
is transparent provided that kdesrc-build is updated beforehand to set
the updated value for `pushInsteadOf`. We already have the same
mechanism in place in kdesrc-build for ensuring that people use
https://anongit.kde.org instead of git://anongit.kde.org when
cloning/fetching.

> Depending on how things look we may also make available a script that
> will update the configuration of a repository to reflect both the
> change in hostname as well as the change in path.

A cleanup script could be handy. I think kdesrc-build will
automatically pick up new repo paths from metadata and that should
work transparently, but the old clones may get left behind as well.
People who use the kdesrc-build option to ignore KDE repo structure
shouldn't be affected at all.

Regards,

- Johan