Quick Charts in KDE Review

Arjen Hiemstra ahiemstra at heimr.nl
Tue Oct 22 11:21:57 BST 2019

On 21-10-2019 16:45, Alexander Potashev wrote:
> Hi Arjen,
>
> 1. I don't see any checks in the autotests. Would it be easy to
> compare the displayed chart against a reference screenshot image, in
> each of the tests?
>
> The same screenshots could also help developers understand what kind
> of charts kquickcharts is good for.

They are very simple QML based tests that currently only verify that the
main Chart types still get created correctly. It'd be nice to expand
them,
though I am slightly hesitant to go with image based tests as they tend
break easily. On the other hand, one of the main reasons for not having
more extensive tests is that I did not have an idea on how to do that,
and
image based tests would solve part of that problem.

> 2. How to add a grid, ticks and labels to a line chart?

For the grid and labels, these are what I generally refer to as
"decorations".
These are implemented as separate items that you use the normal QML
layout
options with to layout. You can have a look at
controls/LineChartControl.qml
to see how it is done for a Line chart. I still need to write some
better
examples for this, but the control should give you a decent idea.

For ticks, assuming with those you mean some marker on the chart data
points,
these are not currently implemented. I do have some ideas regarding
these but
I did not need them yet.

- Arjen